You are here
Personal information may be collected from you in various ways, for example:
Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (these are; information about your browser, your IP address, your general location as determined from your IP address and provided by your browser, the site from which you come, and the links followed when leaving our site).
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies; however you may delete, or disable cookies by following the instructions at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. Please note that you may not be able to take full advantage of our website if you disable cookies and this may impair your experience of the service.
Further information about cookies can be found on the Interactive Advertising Bureau’s website www.allaboutcookies.org.
- When you conduct activities on our website (for example, purchasing membership or registering for an event) we will collect your name and contact details, details of your subscription to our services, and other additional information regarding your areas of interest.
- When you register for an event or purchase membership by e-mail, telephone, post or text, or voluntarily provide information in response to questionnaires or download forms, or to register for newsletters (this includes your name, email address, and any other details asked for and which you provide).
How is the information kept?
We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details; for example our online forms are protected and routinely monitored. We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, and contractors.
We may use external companies to collect or process personal data on our behalf. We will do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them, and put a contract in place that sets out our expectations and requirements. We may disclose your personal information to these carefully-selected third parties and or prospective partners who are carrying out work on behalf of and for the benefit of the institute.
Some of our suppliers may run their operations outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Although they may not be subject to same data protection laws as companies based in the UK, we will take steps to make sure they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK and EU data protection law. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing at a location outside the EEA.
How we might use this information
We use this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To supply to you with services purchased via the website, and to process your payments.
- For statistical purposes and analysis for management purposes in order to administer the website or improve our products and services.
- Internal record keeping and administrative purposes, and to inform you about our events, services or products, or other related information that we think would be of interest to you, including fundraising at RUSI.
- To communicate marketing messages, fundraising messages, newsletters and details of our business or the businesses of carefully-selected third parties which we think may be of interest to you by post or email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications).
- From time-to-time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes or to customise the website according to your interests.
- We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you. We may make use of additional information about you, including geo-demographic information and measures of affluence, when it is available from external sources to help us do this effectively. This helps us understand the background of the people who support us and helps us to make appropriate requests for gifts to supporters who may be able and willing to give more than they already do. We may also use your personal information to detect and reduce fraud and credit risk.
Use of Links
Throughout our website, we provide links to other servers which may contain information of interest to our readers. We take no responsibility for, and exercise no control over, the organisations, views, or accuracy of the information contained on other servers.
Use of Text and Images
If you would like to publish information that you find on our website, please send your request to email@example.com. Where text or images are posted on our site with the permission of the original copyright holder, a copyright statement appears at the bottom of the page.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about you will be one of the transferred assets.
- With organisations that are acting as agents for the Institute or working on behalf of the Institute.
In the event of any of the above scenarios occurring, we will endeavour to ensure that your rights and freedoms in respect of the processing of your personal data are adequately and appropriately protected. By submitting your Information and subscribing to the services available on our site, you consent to such use and transfer.
Access to Information
You have the right to get a copy of the information that we hold about you. This is known as a subject access request. This right of subject access means that you can make a request under the Data Protection Act. Please note that there may be a small administrative fee for this information.
Opt-Out or Change Your Contact Information
Our website provides users with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving all communications from us. You may choose to receive only specific communications or none at all. You may also update your contact information previously provided to us via e-mail, telephone, post or text.
You cannot directly remove yourself entirely from our database. We will always keep a record of your name and contact details but we will update your records with your request to opt-out of all communications so we do not inadvertently contact you. If you have ever made a financial gift to the Institute, by way of RUSI Membership, attending an event or giving a donation, we will need to keep a record of this information and any gift aid that has been claimed. The information that we keep varies according to what we have previously collected and what it is used for. In some cases, there are legal requirements to keep data for a minimum period and we will only have it for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or for which it is to be further processed (unless there’s a legal reason for us to keep it longer).
Questions about our policy