Session One: Latin America and Great Power Competition
27 January 202370 Minute Watch
Veerle Nouwens, Senior Research Fellow, RUSI, chairs the first session of the conference: Latin America and Great Power Competition: What is the Americas’ Place in a Changing Global Order?
Watch the session
Latin America and great power competition: What is the Americas’ place in a changing global order?
- How is Latin American being affecting by rising great power security competition?
- What security interests are driving US-China-Russia regional competition in the Americas?
- Is China’s growing military and technological engagement a concern or an opportunity?
- How can Latin American nations contribute more effectively to global security governance?
- What multilateral and national foreign and security policies are needed for Latin American countries to respond effectively to geopolitical events?
Chair: Veerle Nouwens, Senior Research Fellow, RUSI
- Dr Pia Riggirozzi, Professor of Global Development, University of Southampton
- Dr Vinicius de Carvalho Vice Dean (International), Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy and Reader in Brazilian Studies at King's College London
- Juan Battaleme, Academic Director, Argentinean Council of International Relations
- Juan Pablo Toro, Executive Director, AthenaLab
Senior Research Fellow, Asia-Pacific