The Use of Live Facial Recognition Technology in UK Policing
Lindsey Chiswick, Director of Intelligence, Metropolitan Police Service, will discuss the challenges and opportunities of using AI-driven live facial recognition technology in UK policing.
Unlock content by joining RUSIView membership options
Join the World’s Leading Defence and Security Community
- A busy programme of members' only events
- Access to a suite of RUSI publications
- Access to experts, networks and research teams
Live facial recognition (LFR) technology helps the police find people wanted for serious criminal offences. Cameras are focused on a specific area; when people pass through that area, their images are streamed to the facial recognition system and compared against a watchlist. Facial recognition can be used to tackle knife and gun crime, child sexual exploitation, as well as terrorism and other serious crimes.
In this wide-ranging conversation, Ms Chiswick will:
- Outline how the Metropolitan Police Service uses LFR technology.
- Describe the benefits that AI-driven technology can bring to law enforcement.
- Explain the legal basis and wider framework and policies under which the Metropolitan Police Service can operate LFR.
- Discuss the need to adhere to national guidance, issued by the College of Policing in March 2022, to ensure that use of the technology is necessary and proportionate.
Lindsey Chiswick took up her current appointment in September 2018. Previously, she held a number of senior managerial roles across the UK national security community.
The webinar will be chaired by Dr Liam O'shea, Senior Research Fellow, Organised Crime and Policing research group, RUSI.
How to attend
This event is open to RUSI members only. Find out how to become a RUSI member here. To take part, you must pre-register no later than 28 March using the ‘Register to attend’ button above. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. If you have any questions, please email Danielle Prieto, Events Manager, at DanielleP@rusi.org.