You are here
Africa in Perspective – Spotlight on Somalia
Somalia is at a political crossroads. The signing by President Farmajo in February 2020 of a historic federal law has paved the way for Somalia to hold popular elections next year based upon the 'one person, one vote' principle. However, major obstacles remain in the way of elections and there are concerns that they will be delayed. The political impasse between the federal government and the federal member states, in particular, continues to hold Somalia to ransom and restrict its steps towards democracy. The recent unexpected decision by Somalia’s parliament to remove Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre has increased political uncertainty in the country.
The impact of COVID-19 is causing a major strain on the country's already fragile health system, while recent floods and locust invasions have exacerbated a humanitarian crisis with 5.2 million people already in need of assistance. Against the background of ongoing conflict, violence, insecurity and lack of state protection, concern that the African Union Mission in Somalia may follow-through with its intention to withdraw from the country add further to the sense of growing instability.
At this key moment, the central challenge for Somalia is how to navigate the current set of crises and create the political consensus necessary to establish peace and security in the country.
Panel One - Somalia’s forthcoming elections
- H.E. Halima Ismail Ibrahim, Chair, National Independent Electoral Commission, Somalia
- Abdinasir Ismail, Investigative Journalist
- Mohamed Moalim , Senior Leader of Wadajir Party, Somalia
- Maka Muse, Advocate, A Brighter Somalia
Message from Ambassador Mahboub Maalim, Executive Director SAHAN Research Group and Former Executive Secretary of IGAD.
Panel Two - Creating space for dialogue in Somalia
- Dr Hodan Said Isse, Assistant Emeritus Professor, University of Buffalo School of Management
- AbdulAziz Billow Ali, Freelance Journalist
- Abdi Musse, CEO, Friends of the Horn Foundation
- Abdelkarim A. Haji Hassan, Publisher of WardheerNews.com
The event will be chaired by Dr Andrew E. Yaw Tchie, Senior Research Fellow and Obasanjo Fellow, RUSI
If you have any questions about this event, please contact ZivileK@rusi.org