You are here
The Future Defence Review: Red Teaming a Green Paper - Part of the RUSI Future Defence Review Event Series
Speech delivered to the RUSI Future Defence Review Conference by Tom McKane, Director-General Strategy, Ministry of Defence
Building on the success of the previous three RUSI conferences analysing the issues affecting the development of the United Kingdom’s Future Defence Review (FDR), this conference provided a timely opportunity to debate the context, concepts and conclusions of the Green Paper that the Ministry of Defence is developing in preparation for the defence review after the formation of the next Government.
The previous conferences have considered a wide range of issues including: the UK’s role and position in global affairs; the premises of its defence policy and military strategy; strategic choices; commitments and capabilities that these govern; and financial constraints under which the Ministry of Defence and the UK Armed Forces must operate. This next conference examined emerging conclusions from the Green Paper work.
- Professor James Bergeron, Political Advisor, Headquarters Striking Force, NATO
- Jeremy Carver, Consultant, Clifford Chance
- Professor Malcolm Chalmers, Professorial Research Fellow in British Security Policy, RUSI
- Professor Michael Clarke, Director, RUSI
- James Fanshawe CBE, Defence Adviser, Allocate Software plc
- Lieutenant General Sir Robert Fry KCB CBE, Vice President EDS Defence & Security, and Member of Council, RUSI
- Nick Harvey MP, Member of Parliament for North Devon and Shadow Defence Secretary for the Liberal Democrats
- Dr Ian Kearns, Senior Research Fellow, RUSI
- Michael M. Kurth, Managing Director, Boeing Defence UK Ltd
- Baroness Pauline Neville-Jones, Shadow Security Minister and National Security Adviser to the Leader of the Opposition
- Professor Zia Sardar, Visiting Professor, City University