You are here
First Sea Lord’s Sea Power Conference 2019
The Royal Navy appears confident in its utility and its strategic messaging. 2017 was the Year of the Navy, in 2018 the Royal Navy Expanded its Maritime Horizons and this year’s intent is Delivering Global Influence.
Is this renewed confidence justified? Following the land-centric campaigns of Iraq and Afghanistan, the great recession of 2008 and the Defence Review of 2010 are we now witnessing the re-awakening of a national maritime strategy and naval ambition as part of the Joint Force, with Allies and Partners and across Government? Alternatively, is the maritime more of support act, an enabler for the economy rather than a means to exert influence and power.
The conference aims to test whether the apparent change in national strategy toward the maritime is by default or by design – is there substance to the Royal Navy’s confidence. The strategic context will be established by examining ‘mega-trends’, emerging challenges and opportunities in a highly uncertain and rapidly changing world. The conference will then stress-test the notion that a maritime strategy is the right strategy for the UK. Noting that affordability will be a brake on ambition, whether the RN can rise to the challenge, to play its’ part within a broader maritime strategy, through innovative use of technology whilst remaining an attractive proposition for talented people will also be explored.
Speakers will include
• The Rt Hon Penny Mordaunt MP, Secretary of State for Defence
• Admiral Sir Philip Andrew Jones KCB, First Sea Lord, Royal Navy
• Lord Hague of Richmond, RUSI Chairman
• Sir Malcolm Rifkind KCMG QC, former Foreign Secretary and Defence Secretary. Visiting Professor, Dept of War Studies, Kings College London
• Vice Admiral Jerry Kyd, Fleet Commander, Royal Navy
• Dr Philippa Malmgren, Former Presidential adviser and co-founder of H Robotics
• Dr Karin von Hippel, Director General, Royal United Services Institute
• Vice Admiral Nick Hine CB, Second Sea Lord, Royal Navy
A number of free student places are available for this conference. Please contact AllanaH@rusi.org if you are interested
This event is sold out