You are here
Digital Communications Officer
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the world’s oldest independent defence and security think tank. RUSI is a research-led institute, producing independent, practical and innovative analysis to address today’s complex challenges.
RUSI is looking to appoint an enthusiastic, tech savvy communications professional who will support RUSI’s digital communication activities, including our website, social media and multimedia channels. Working within the RUSI communications team, the successful post-holder will have the ability and skills to review and publish content for RUSI’s key audiences and to undertake social media monitoring and publishing.
Following a probationary period the appointment will be permanent.
- Actively review and manage existing content, especially the main points of entry to the RUSI website
- Work closely across RUSI to ensure all aspects of the Institute are represented digitally
- Write and edit copy where necessary
- Maintain RUSI presence on all social media channels and work with colleagues across RUSI to drive engagement
- Be a point of contact for resolving ad-hoc technical issues, liaising daily with suppliers and internal stakeholders (for example, creating new users and managing permissions)
- Support filming, streaming and uploading of RUSI events
- Support curation and production of creative assets including videos, podcasts and photography
- Support evaluation of the performance of website. Use data analytics (using Google Analytics) to inform RUSI’s communications monitoring and evaluation activities
- Support creation and distribution of RUSI’s email campaigns including e-shots, weekly and monthly newsletters
- Help highlight RUSI media mentions on all digital channels
- Undertake other Communications tasks as directed by Director of Communications.
- IT skills: including using Microsoft Office, web technologies and adapt to new software
- Digital native with demonstrable interest in the latest digital developments
- Familiar with content management systems such as Drupal
- Basic Photoshop skills
- Creative flair
- Prioritise workload
- Attention to detail, good writing skills
- Collegial, team player
- Able to constantly respond to changing needs and priorities
- Email marketing software such as Mailchimp
- Video/sound editing
- Experience with website analytical tools
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Design principles for screens
- Developing new websites
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be £22,000 per annum. RUSI offers a number of additional benefits, including: a pension scheme (6% employer contribution); a travel season ticket loan, and other benefits .
RUSI is based in Whitehall in the heart of London, close to government and the amenities of central London. Charing Cross station (underground and national rail) and other underground stations are a short walk away.
- To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter stating why you consider that you are suitable for the role to Michael Codner, Director of Personnel Services, at MichaelC@ rusi.org. The closing date for applications is 25 October 2017. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview.